Monday, June 24, 2013

Instructors -To Talk or Not to Talk?

Is talking motivational or distracting?
My style is NOT to talk. I like to run my classes with clear cut drills explained prior to execution. I give time updates, i.e. 2 mins to the top, 30 second sprint, 20, 10…., and a motivational comment here and there, i.e. do not give up on this hill, earn the downhill, etc.. For the most part I let the music motivate, because that’s what dose it for me. I put a great deal of time and energy into making playlists that have a perfect BPM : RPM ratio. I like hill climbs with gut retching music that makes you feel like you’re attacking a castle and sprints that have you running for your life. I personally can’t stand an instructor that talks and talks with a cheer leading attitude trying to encourage me to reach my goals, asking me to smile, or to raise my hand if my ass is on fire. All I can think is please shut up; I’m trying to concentrate here. But am I wrong? Is this what the people want? As an instructor my job is the motivate the class, not to take a my way or the high way approach. At the end of the day it’s about the client and their workout. Is constant chatting and encouragement motivating? Feedback please!

1 comment:

  1. I like an instructor that's a little stern, and challenges me to push it just a little more. I'm a sucker for that, and end up drenched it sweat 3/4ths of the way through class. I really appreciate different playlists (i.e., not the same one every time). I get really happy and charged up When there's a few songs from my youth in the mix. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete